Old November 17th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_2_]

Default Being towed too slow?

On Nov 16, 8:44 pm, Steve Leonard
wrote:
Seems to be a common thing at contests or any other
time you are flying something different than what the
pilot is use to pulling. How about the next time it
happens to you, have your radio call be 'Towplane pulling
Glider (Insert your callsign here), please speed up
5 MPH' or some such if you aren't clearly able to identify
the towplane. Most of those guys know what glider
they are pulling at the time. They keep track so they
have a record of how many tows they made.

Or better yet, spend a little time talking with the
towpilots and getting to know them. When it is your
turn, watch and see who comes by to pull you into the
sky. If you are being pulled too slow or too fast,
call the towpilot by name with your request. But do
it very nicely, please. As John pointed out, these
guys work hard so we can go play. And sometimes, they
even get to go play, too.

Thanks again to all that have towed me!

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS

If you are carrying water and the tow plane slows down below the stall
speed what would happen. I felt things were close once and used the
radio to request speeding up. Can't imagine rocking the wings when
you are in that situation.