Old July 24th 20, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default 27 crash at Ely?

Someone once insisted there are “holes” in the air. I agree although I don’t think I ever hit a real one yet, especially not close to terrain, but I believe they are, and it is a matter of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, and perhaps at the wrong speed. Nearly every year we loose someone to these holes. Theoretically we can avoid bad fate by never fly close to terrain, but we know it is not possible to always do this if we want to be able to soar.

Ramy