Old December 23rd 04, 06:38 AM
Mike Rapoport

There is not enough thrust at idle to be a problem.

Mike
MU-2

"Ramapriya" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know that a car's engine needs to be mated to the transmission for
propulsion. This I know isn't the case with an aircraft with a jet
engine; if the engine is turned on without the brakes applied, the jet
of air leaving the engine will hurl the craft forward.

My doubt is, why does this forward motion effect not occur during
push-back, when the engines are normally turned on? Is it because at
low revs the engine would lack the punch to initiate the forward motion
of a heavy aircraft? If not, I'd imagine the push-back becomes a bit of
a tiresome affair by the time it's over...

Sorry if this is infuriatingly elementary, but I need to ask somewhere

Ramapriya