Old July 3rd 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Famous people in soaring

At 19:14 03 July 2017, wrote:
On Friday, August 31, 2012 at 2:07:59 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
While Neil Armstrong was one of the most famous glider pilots, he

wasn't
the only one.
Other famous people who where also glider pilots which I recall:
John Denver
Christopher Reeve (Superman)
Sully (Hudson landing pilot)

Others?

Ramy (just signing my name, not claiming to be famous ;-)

I once heard that Roy McMaster flew the 1-23H15 in the original

movie for
Steve McQueen. I've never thought to ask Roy about it.

I stayed at Roy's home (The Round House) as a guest for the 2015 USA
Standard and 15m Nationals. It was then that I asked him about it.
It was back in the ~1965- 1966 time frame, and Roy owned and flew
that yellow 1-23H-15 from Rockingham Park in southern NH (about an
hour north of Boston). He was a local school principal at the time. He
and I landed out in his own schoolyard on one contest day back in
1965. I assumed that the movie was shot there, and that's where Roy
gave Steve McQueen his glider lessons, but I could be wrong.
RO