Old May 21st 04, 12:44 PM
Stefan

Arnie wrote:
Is there a Commercial Pilots License-Glider in EU ?

I looked around in the CAA, JAA and EASA websites, but could't really find
this information.

You didn't find information because glider ratings are not part of the
JARs but are regulated differently by each country.

I only can tell how it's handled in Switzerland. There is no such thing
as a commercial glider license in Switzerland. There is a "PAX-rating"
which allows you to take passengers. (Requires 30 hours after the
license and a check ride. No passengers allowed without this rating.) An
instructor rating, you guessed it, is needed to instruct students.

Whether you may get paid or not is not part of the regulations. This is
a gray area in Switzerland anyway, as any private pilot (with or without
noise) is allowed to take passengers who pay their share of the
expenses. (And "their share" can even be 100%, the pilot just
contributing his time.) Here, commercial means just that: Commercial.
For gliders, there are no regulations at all. But as there is no
commercial glider license, it's assumed that any glider pilot may get paid.

Stefan