Old December 11th 03, 09:17 PM
Mike Borgelt

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:37:38 -0800, "Richard Isakson"
wrote:

My brother over-wintered at Siple Station in Antartica about thirty years
ago. I called him today for his view on this. McMurdo Base is the main US
supply base for most US operations in Antartica. The New Zealand base is
"just around the corner, within walking distance". Most vehicles down there
run on diesel fuel but they would have some gasoline for Ski Doo type
vehicles. The main runway is built on sea ice and it will breakup within a
month. In January icebreakers will carve a path to McMurdo for supply ships
to get in but those ships are already loaded and on their way. Cruise ships
visit the area during the brief summer. My brother was surprised the they
made him sleep in the fuel shed. Even in the summer McMurdo has lots of
barracks space.

Shipping to Antrartica is very expensive. If he has to hire a Twin Otter to
fly in fuel, he might find it's cheaper to abandon the airplane there. My
brother thinks they're playing hardball just to keep others away.

Rich

While I personally wouldn't fly a single engine airplane any great
distance over water I admire those who have the courage to do so.

So what is wrong with giving the guy the 80 gallons of gas and he buys
two 200 liter drums of gas in Christchurch and they fly them down in
the next C130 that has a little space available? Charge him for the
airfreight.

Don't tell me *every* C130 is at max gross or bulked out out of
Christchurch?

I think this is a good argument for abandoning the Antarctic bases.
After 50 years surely the human presence can be replaced by a few
automatic weather stations and satellite surveillance and we Aussies,
Kiwis and Americans get to save some taxes?

I think I'll write to my Member of Parliament urging the zeroing of
Antarctic funding. The damn place is of no economic benefit by
international agreement. Just a playground for a bunch of scientists
who probably don't want anyone else getting in on their sweet little
racket. Just like the NASA people. What we have had in both the
Antarctic and space is tourism with high entry barriers and
qualifications for the tourists.

Second Last thought - I wonder if he's sleeping in the fuel shed with
the right fuel in it?

Last thought - I hope I someday get the chance to refuse to help one
of these bureaucrats when he's in trouble and needs my assistance.

Mike Borgelt