Old February 2nd 18, 07:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Air Mass (Blue dot) on Butterfly

On Friday, 2 February 2018 05:54:50 UTC+2, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Just wondering if the users Air-avionics Butterfly, find the air mass measurement helpful (Blue dot)? Do you find this measurement more accurate and less susceptible to gusts? this data v the vario data? Are you using this data instead of the vario derived Netto?

I use inertial almost exclusively while gliding (80-85% VAM). Nothing beats blazing under cloud at 100 kts and seeing that you fly trough steady 4.5 kt thermal while variometer needles are all over the place.

During thermalling I find traditional variometer still useful as you cannot totally ignore horizontal gusts and windshear, which TE vario shows.