Old February 10th 05, 04:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

a service that lets you browse aerial and satellite photo imagery,
world-wide. I have spent more than a few hours perusing the aerial views
of current and abandoned airstrips. (and by the way, Fallujah, Iraq is
depicted in very fine detail - jeez I wonder why? But that's another
topic...)

I am pretty familiar with the airports surrounding my location (San
Jose, CA) but Keyhole shows what it calls "historical" airports, and one
of them has me stumped in terms of finding out more data about it -
"Hilton Airport", located southeast of San Jose. I have done a pretty
thorough web search looking for its history, and unlike most other
abandoned/old airports that I've web-researched, I have come up with
only one link on that site - which doesn't tell me anything more than
its GPS coordinates.

I have taken a screenshot of the Keyhole view of this area, and it's
found he

http://blave.smugmug.com/photos/15627055-L.jpg

Using Keyhole to zoom in on the area of the supposed airport shows
nothing to indicate that an airstrip was ever there...

BTW as an "abandoned airport enthusiast/mourner", I have found this site
to be very interesting: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/. But I can't
find anything there that mentions this particular location. Can anyone
help?

I have a fairly good collection of old sectional charts. I can't find a
"Hilton Airport" in this area but I do find a "Boulder Creek Airport" in the
location specified in your screenshot. Boulder Creek Airport appears on
sectionals dated August 1943, August 1947, April 1958, and January 1965. It
is not on the April 1972 chart. The coordinates given for it are 37 09 N,
122 10 W.