Old February 27th 04, 10:46 AM
Jez

"Joy" wrote in message

I suppose this has been answered earlier in the thread, but, if
you don't mind me asking, why would 'same-sex couples' want to get
married anyway ??

Pensions ? Keeping the house when a partner died...?? What ??
Is it a legal thing, or a religious thing ??

Just wondering.....

This is speculation on my part, since I'm heterosexual, but I think that
things like being able to cover each other on health insurance, social
security benefits, the ability to file income tax jointly, being able to

sit
with each other in the intensive care unit, bereavement leave, FMLA rights
to care for a sick spouse or spouses children, ability to make medical
decisions for a sick spouse, immigration access for spouses, spousal
privilege in lawsuits, and so forth would matter just as much to gay

couples
as straight couples.

Those seem to me like perfectly valid reasons.

Thanks.

--
Jez
"The condition of alienation, of being asleep, of being unconscious,