Old June 9th 21, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Winch demonstration/training at home gliderport

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:19:20 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
St Louis Soaring Association (stlsoar.org) is interested in a winch demonstration and possible training at our home gliderport (H07) in Highland, IL - located 30 miles East of St Louis right off I-70.

We currently aerotow with 2 Pawnees and a Supercub, but are looking at the future sustainability of that method (Cost, Noise, etc) and want to explore other options.

We have a wide but relatively short (2600 x 500 ft) grass airfield, all of it available for winch launches - so launch height would naturally be somewhat limited; however if the decision to go with a winch was made we have the option to extend that to almost 4000' when launching to the North, by locating the winch in a field that we own. That should be enough for some decent height.

Our fleet is almost exclusively glass with CG hooks, K-21s for training.

If anyone has any suggestions, please contact me.

Cheers,

Kirk
66

Kudos for thinking about a winch as an alternative! Bringing a winch to your field may not be as straight forward as one would think. We can tow our winch legally on public roads but only with the state of SC. Going out of state would require a title, registration and license plate = major headache for a home-built rig.
I invite you and anyone else to come to SC and participate in a winch clinic