Old February 14th 13, 08:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Progress on updating training gliders and new winch operations?

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:45:19 PM UTC+1, Vaughn wrote:

Indeed, every little bit helps. BUT! PCAS is no substitute for a

transponder, which makes you visible to the big & fast traffic out there.

I somewhat disagree. A transponder does absolutely NOTHING to protect you from VFR traffic that isn't talking to ATC. However, a PCAS does give you warning of all transponder-equipped traffic, including airliners and military.

So it depends a lot on where you fly and what kind of traffic you are worried about. Out West, where you are usually in O2 levels (Reno area comes to mind) a transponder makes a lot of sense, since VFR traffic is usually lower. In the midwest, away from Class B or C airspace, it doesn't really help much, while a PCAS is really useful, because there is a lot of VFR traffic at the lower altitudes that you usually fly in.

Best solution is obviously a PowerFLARM and a Mode S transponder.

My preference if a choice has to be made is warning of the presence of other traffic over hoping that they see and respond to your transponder.

Cheers,

Kirk
66