Old July 31st 03, 12:35 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
Guy Elden Jr. wrote:
[...]
I was quite relieved when the oral was over, because even though I
presented myself as calm, I was definitely nervous inside. The examiner
said I'd done a very good job, as did one of the FAA guys in the

bleachers
behind me, so I was pretty well charged up for the ride itself! My basic
approach to the oral is to treat it like a grueling technical interview
(I'm a software developer).

Damn. Are you me?

Uh, just a sec... me goes to mirror me looks in mirror ... nope, I'm
still me! :-)

As I completed one full trip around the pattern, the examiner handed me

an
approach chart for Somerset airport in NJ, and told me I'd been cleared
for the approach, radar services terminated. So I flew the whole

approach,
PT and all, and got it down to minimums as appropriate.

I hope there wasn't anyone in the pattern. As I recall that airport, an
approach would run you right through that.

The examiner was on the radio calling out our position for me. Before we
started with the test, he said he'd let me take care of all the radio calls
until he was satisfied I could handle them on my own. Then he would take
over and I'd concentrate on the rest of the approaches and maneuvers. For
that particular approach, we had already cancelled IFR, so the examiner was
acting as ATC, and I directed all of my "calls" to him directly.

--
Guy Elden Jr.