Old November 2nd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default Replacing innertubes without replacing tires?

Because back in the good old daze when inner tubes weren't quite as well
done from a chemistry point of view the oxygen in the air WOULD attack the
rubber and cause it to deteriorate quicker than with pure nitrogen. Back
when I wuz wit da airlines, we used nitrogen exclusively to fill tires on
the torches.

Jim

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:hdSdnbmXe9pLpNTYnZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Fill them with Nitrogen they won't leak as much. Not that I've tried it.

How do you figure that? Air is already mostly nitrogen. Why would a
higher concentration of nitrogen leak any less than plain old air? The
difference in atom sizes between nitrogen and the other major
constituents of air is on the order of a few percent, so even the other
constituents aren't going to leak out leaving just nitrogen.

And, that few percent difference makes a small fraction of a percent
difference in how fast they leak. Not enough to notice, but enough that
tire stores around here (Detroit) make all kinds of wild claims about the
advantages of buying tires from them and having them filled with N2...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com