Old February 24th 21, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Testing for Attachments

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 11:11:35 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, It worked for me!

It worked for anybody using a modern USENET reader. The old USENET, which is where rec.aviation.soaring really lives is all ASCII characters and supported attachments by converting things like Images to a ASCII text encoding. Thunderbird (a great USENET reader) is making this simple for you, but under the covers it's converting that jpg image to the text encoding and converting it back when you read the message. Folks with ancient USENET readers might see the encoded text as

--------------0DAD4A81AAF329A2D963103A

/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAgEBLAEsAAD/7Q3yUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNA+0AAAAAABABLAAA
AAEAAQEsAAAAAQABOEJJTQQNAAAAAAAEAAAAeDhCSU0D8wAAAA AACAAAAAAAAAAAOEJJTQQK
AAAAAAABAAA4QklNJxAAAAAAAAoAAQAAAAAAAAACOEJJTQP1AA AAAABIAC9mZgABAGxmZgAG

And Google Groups... which is a pretty crappy front-end to USENET... well it just ignores all attachments.

Darryl

Dan
5J

On 2/24/21 12:00 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Since I use the Thunderbird email client to read RAS and I just
discovered that I can attach a file to a message, I thought I'd do a
test run. Anybody out there see the picture?