Old March 18th 17, 12:05 PM
Josh Fletcher Josh Fletcher is offline
Junior Member

Its a cute concept... But no one has discussed Instrument approaches.

I don't see any aircraft that could do a CAT III Circle approach to auto land while trying to make a banking turn on a sloped runway. Much less a pilot that could shoot a hard IFR approach to mins in windy conditions and then try to transition to a curving and sloping runway.

Then the issue with Takeoffs. The presenter was saying that they could launch 3 aircraft at the same time on one circle runway..... I call BS.... they will never clear 3 aircraft to TO off the same runway at the same time... What happens if someone aborts the TO? What happens if someone has an engine failure/fire at V1 and can not fly the published. Even with multiple parallel runways, ATC does not launch simultaneous departures just for that reason.

I could go on and on about the issues that would need to be addressed that they so conveniently don't talk about... I am sure many of them would be the same issues that caused NASA to drop the project in the 60's

thats my 2 cents

BTW... Under VFR... I routinely landed in a circle my Aviat Husky in a field that was to short for straight in landings and takeoffs... so I don't hate the idea, just don't think its practical. Especially for some of todays pilots that have no stick and rudder skills and rely on the automation entirely to much..

Last edited by Josh Fletcher : March 18th 17 at 12:10 PM.