Old November 7th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma

Default This year's annual

"Roy N5804F" wrote in
k.net:

There is a very old expression "Work expands to fill the time
available for its completion"

Agree

The more time you allow your maintenance facilities, the longer they
will take, that's the nature of us humans.

Agree

We schedule all maintenance on a start date and finish date basis.

Would be nice... Airplanes have a different agenda.

We provide a written itemized list of all work to be performed before
scheduling the time in the shop, and we make sure that they have the
parts to hand before work starts.

Until you find something unexpectactly that requires a part order. It
would be unreasonable to order the unexpected, no?

If a facility exceeds the finish date, they know about it in no
uncertain terms.

Usually happens especially if something unexpected comes up AND parts
need to be ordered. Also, it may take a week to send off a part for
servicing, this is not the A&P's fault. Case in point, my failing
cylinder. Extra work being done on it, and it still may have to be sent
off to the shop for refurbishing. On a 500 hour SMOH engine, I wouldn't
expect my A&P to have cylinders lying around the shop specific to my
engine type.

It is quite ridiculous to allow any vendor in any business to be less
than efficient, you are doing them a disservice by aiding and abetting
the stagnation of their business.

Agree

Organize properly what service you are buying, ensure the vendor knows
what is expected and you unscheduled down time will be at a minimum.

Easy to do in the fantasy world, unfortunately airplanes have a different
agenda :-)

Allen