Old July 4th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

Default Unpaved Landing areas

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 13:11:35 -0700 (PDT), Rocky Stevens
wrote:

Not sure if this counts, but I flew ultralights back when I lived in
Arizona, and the runways were all dirt. The biggest problem was when
there was monsoon the night before, the strip turned to soup and would
be closed for at least a day.

You should try flying from a grass field in New Hampshire! From
December to April, it's always an adventure.

I once taxied up to the gas pump to find Bonnie the flight insturctor
had gotten out her ice skates and was twirling about on the glaze. I
have literally been blown off the runway *sideways* when a crosswind
combines with glare ice. With one Cub, I found that I could negotiate
the turns better if I switched to Left magneto; the engine ran slower
and I was more likely to make the turn.

And that's only when it stays cold! Inevitably, a freeze is followed
by a thaw, and the surface to mud.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com