Old February 3rd 09, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

Default Short Wings Gliders (26) 146

SIFOW = Span Is FOr Wimps.

That's what I told myself when I sold my share in an elderly Nimbus 2 and
bought a somewhat newer Standard Cirrus instead. But I still land out more
often in the 15m Cirrus than I did in the 21.9m (extended span) Nimbus.

I have tiny shares in an 18m Bocian 2 seater and a 13.5m Slingsby Swallow
(both Vintage) and I do fly them cross country, but I tend to pick the
better days for these flights. In the Swallow, I once made the mistake of
leaving a thermal before I reached the 5000ft cloudbase, because I didn't
think it was good enough, and got down to 500 ft before I contacted the
next one!.....Phew! I did however go on to complete the planned 220km O/R
flight.

Derek Copeland

At 03:46 03 February 2009, toad wrote:
On Feb 2, 8:15=A0pm, Ian Cant wrote:
At 01:00 03 February 2009, Dan Silent wrote:

possible names for the new class:

"US class"
"NON EUROPE class"
"20PCT class"