Old November 18th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Default Best Looking Sailplane

Chip,

Taking off and landing a sailplane with a V tail is pretty much like
taking off and landing a sailplane with a T tail. Maybe not quite the
rudder authority at the end of a landing in a high cross wind, but
nothing dangerous that I have noticed.

It is an interesting story as to why V tails went out of favor, at
least one of the reasons.

Ross Nolan shared the following link on the HP glider Yahoo group.

http://glidebarambah.thehorseyard.ne...sholighaus.pdf

Mike

I agree the ASW 20 is one of the most beautiful sailplanes ever
created. Subsequent single-seat models--ASW 24 (what I've flown for
the past 18 years), ASW 27 & ASG 29--are very pretty. But to me, the
most beautiful sailplane is the one I grew up seeing in person at our
local Midwestern USA contests and in photos: Len Neimi's Sisu 1A. Alex
Aldott's pic of world free distance holder Al Parker's Sisu stood up
on one wingtip under a Texas sky still gives me chills whenever I see
it. I've always regretted that V-tails went out of style. Of course, I
never had to launch or land with one.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA