Old April 16th 04, 10:13 PM
mike

Gary Evans wrote in message ...
I there a way to thicken gel coat other than letting
some of the solvent evaporate? Even the thinnest commerical
gel coat is made for spraying which makes it too runny
for filling small cometic chips. The only gel coat
paste fillers I have found are an off white in color.

You can take a small amount polester coating like Prestec (basically
gel coat)and over catlyze it at around 4%. Stir and watch it as it
thickens which may take around ten minutes depending on temperature.
When it gets to the viscosity you like, apply it to the roughed up and
well cleaned area. Prestec is about the whitest thing known to man so
if your gell coat has faded a bit you can add a minute amount of
yellow polyester dye. __Mike