Old June 25th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Parachute Landing

None of my previous round parachutes had quick releases except for my
first, a surplus Navy parachute, which had Capewells.Â* All it takes to
collapse a round canopy is to reach up and grab just one suspension line
and pull it in as quickly as you can.Â* My wife and I each did it at a
training session with a 30 kt wind blowing.Â* We were tied to a pickup
truck with a 10 foot rope just in case.Â* We did fine, but one of the
students just couldn't get it and would have ended up in Texas were it
not for the rope!Â* It's not hard physically, since you're only pulling
on 1 line out of, 28.Â* I don't think it would be possible to collapse a
rectangular chute that way given the way the suspension lines are
configured.Â* I'll ask my rigger.Â* He's got a lot of experience.

HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y45efUmZ4v4 is a good example of
a malfunction with a rectangular chute.Â* The jumper thinks that, if he'd
worked just a little harder, he could have cleared it.Â* I believe he
would have landed relatively safely, though not with control had he not
had the reserve.

And, to answer Jfitch, I'm pretty sure someone with a rectangular would
have had somewhat more control, but I don't think he'd have escaped a
beating, either.Â* I posted it to show just another thing that could go
wrong once you're dangling "safely" under your canopy, whichever type.Â*
It's a dangerous sport we're engaged in, but I'm not ready to give it up
yet.

On 6/24/2018 5:18 PM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, June 24, 2018 at 12:53:57 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Start viewing this at 1:23. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikzyqd9zzCY

I think he might have made aÂ* better landing under a rectangular chute.

--
Dan, 5J

Apparently you *can* soar a round chute, if a thermal is lifting off.

--
Dan, 5J