Old December 2nd 03, 12:16 AM
mikem

G.R. Patterson III wrote:
As most of us have been doing these days, I spend a fair amount of flight time
listening to 121.5. This frequency has always had some sort of low level hiss
and crackle on it that I don't hear on other communications frequencies. Does
anyone know what causes this?

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".

Let me guess, you have a Narco.

The Narco is the only com receiver which forces the squelch "open" when
it is tuned to 121.500MHz.

If you dont have a Narco, turn off every other blessed thing in the
airplane except your com receiver. It is possible that some other piece
of equipment is radiating a birdie right on 121.5, strong enough to
unsquelch your radio...

Mike M