Old April 17th 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

"... Or really just don't care."

I think this is very true - most pilots these days don't even have a crew when they go to contests. Often when they fly XC (out of site of the airport, the people on the ground don't care where their pilots have gone.

I chose to believe it is that they just don't know any better/ haven't experienced Soaring track when they are good.

My wife and our good friends wife, who are very interested my where-abouts when flying attract a crowd when they are sitting on their tablets seeing where we are and how high.

I think is is one of those things we are too lazy/unfamiliar with to not understand the benefit to the Sport and our won clubs. It is not attained with out effort and a push.

I believe the push needs to come from the SSA. If we had a year or two where most flights where tracked. If XC flights at a club level where tracked so other member could see where the more advanced pilots where going it would inspire more XC flying and more retention.

my $.02

WH