Old January 8th 04, 02:06 PM
Rocky

Stan Gosnell wrote in message ...
"Bob" wrote in
:

Rocky,
I was referring to the person with "full aft cyclic" and still
dragging the pitot tube (on the nose of the aircraft) on the ground.

Lots of collective is the only thing that kept him moving. He was getting
into dynamic rollover, and bottoming the collective might have helped, but
I don't think more collective was going to do anything good here.
Fortunately I wasn't in the cockpit, so I can't say for sure how much he
pulled, or whether more or less would have helped.

Stan & Bob
It makes me think of a time when I had to take a farmer up in the
Hiller to check a field for positive ID. He was a big guy at 6'6" and
about 240#. We took off, checked the field, no problem. On return,
there was a Bell 47 working ahead of me with his nurse rig on the
ground, and as I began to flare, it wouldn't slow down. I pulled aft
cyclic to what I thought were the stops and it kept going. My pax
hollered "can you go around?" and I began doing so to avoid hitting
the 47 at the same time. I pulled pitch and turned with room to spare
and glanced over at my pax who was pushing himself farther back and up
in the seat. Turns out the cyclic was jammed back into his crotch
while I was trying to flare it out! We made a good landing the 2nd
time around. Then I learned the guy was also a race pilot at the
Nationals and had sense enough to keep his feet off the pedals while
he pushed himself back in the seat. We got a chuckle out of that after
the fact. It also taught me to not put any pax in the left seat when
the duals were installed!
Best Regards
Rocky