Old May 13th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Chopper crash

Huey Tuck:

If you read the book Chickenhawk, by Robert Mason, he describes it in detail
there. You can find this book on ebay, or amazon. If you order it directly
from him, he'll autograph it for you. I have one. I forget the website, but
google search his name or chickenhawk.

Basically like this, if you lift off in an extreme nose low attitude, the
airflow hits the relatively flat upper deck, which pushed the nose down. He
did some testing and determined the only way out is to like fly off a cliff
where you can fly nose low and keep flying to recover. He tested it on
pinacle LZ's I believe. If you do a google search for Huey Tuck, there is a
little bit of info.

I'm on the road, at the beach but have one of my two copies with me. Scanned
and found this section.

From Robert Mason's Chickenhawk, page 333. The Tension chapter:

I experimented with the Huey Tuck that day. If the Huey was nosed over too
far on takeoff, the wind resistance on top of the flat roof would force the
nose even lower. The ship would then try to dive into the ground as it
accelerated. IF this happened over level ground, you were trapped in a
vicious circle. Pulling the cyclic back would not overcome the wind pressure
on the roof. Pulling up on the collective to stay away from the ground only
added power to the system, causing you to crash at a higher speed. If you
don't do anything but curse, you hit the ground at a lower speed. Either
way, you lost.

I almost got caught in a Huey Tuck once, and I wanted to know just how far
over was too far. I found out by simulating a level takeoff from a pinacle.

I nosed over very hard and pulled enough pitch to keep the ship flying
horizontal to the ground. I tested the cyclic, and the ship would not
respond. I could feel it happening. Adding power only made it worse. When I
could feel the trap and how I got into it, I knew I could never get into it
by accident. I was experimenting with this over a valley, so all I had to do
to recover was to dive.

Ron