Old November 19th 03, 08:18 PM
Paul Mennen

"Ron Natalie" wrote

You're making requirements that don't exist in the regulations.
As for changing internal batteries in things not designed to be
easily accessible, that is covered by the initial phrase in 43xA.c
"Preventive maintenance is limited to the following
work provided it does not involve complex assembly operations."

Those distinctions always make me chuckle. One man's
complex is another man's simple. (Kind of like the
distinction they make between major and minor alterations).

For instance I changed the internal battery in my NorthStar M2
GPS. Given my skills I did not find this particularly complex,
although many would. (The battery was soldered into a board
that couldn't be removed without also removing dozens of screws,
cables, connectors, etc).

Yet I still usually err on the side of caution. For example
I would be perfectly legal changing my brake pads, but in my
airplane I find this complex (given my skills - or lack thereof
So I feel more comfortable relegating this task to my mechanic.

~Paul