Old January 16th 04, 01:18 PM
CriticalMass

PaulaJay1 wrote:

It is not very close (I'm in Ohio) but I"ll keep it in my bag of tricks. Might
be flying in that area before the winter is over.

I went out to the plane yesterday. Hanger temp about 40F. Autopilot worked
fine. My electronics guy at KCAK says watchful waiting. May be harbinger of
things to come or may have been that way for years and won't get worse.

Unfortunately, the situation is not unlike one I faced a few years ago.

The inescapable fact is, these autopilots are getting old. They're
tired, and they start acting up. Doing their job gets harder and harder
for them to do properly.

The factory is the court of last resort, obviously, but when I
approached them for service on my autopilot, I was told they were no
longer able to get parts, and servicing my autopilot was no longer an
option.

They offered to sell me a used control unit, but I declined, based on
the fact that I'd still be flying around with an autopilot that no one
could service when it needed it.

Ultimately, I had an Stec System 55 installed.