Old April 28th 14, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_14_]

Default LiFePO4 Batteries

I recently got the Starkpower 12V 9Ah battery from Knauff. I've put it through one test charge/discharge cycle so far. I found...

1. It took about 10Ah when I charged it from 9V resting to full voltage (14.4V while charging for a 4 cell LiFeSO4). I imagine the advertised 9Ah rating accounts for aging after many load cycles.

2. It supplies 13.0V to 13.2V for a very long time under a 0.5A load. I'd like to see how it does under a 2A to 4A load.

3. The built-in Battery Management System (BMS) does terminate any charging attempt past 14.6V

4. The BMS does not terminate discharging at 10.5V as Starkpower's website advertises. I only brought the pack down to 9V, but other sources indicate the BMS terminates discharge at 8.2V.

On Monday, April 28, 2014 10:55:16 AM UTC-4, vontresc wrote:
So I am in the market for a new battery for my Libelle. I was thinking it might be time to upgrade to a LiFePO4 battery.

Any recommendations/reviews from the community? I've seen people using the K2 and Stark Power batteries. Any preference between the two?

Thanks

Peter