Old May 24th 19, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Schrader[_2_]

Default Contest Class Development for Future Success - The Case fordeveloping the Handicapped Classes

Chris, go back through the contests and you will see that classes are combined but it the groupings have changed over the years with introduction of 15/18M configurations and now 18M/Open glider configurations. These owners want the opportunity to fly multiple Classes per year.

I noticed that, and I fully understand where they're coming from. I wasn't sure from the previous posting (I presume it was Mike Westbrook) whether the author was suggesting we start eliminating FAI classes or not. I don't support that. I support grouping them together where it makes sense so we have roughly 3-4 healthy, well-attended Nationals taking into consideration what I said about 20M being a training ground for pilot development be it prominent Juniors or other up-and-coming racers. Other "fun" Sports Class contests like the Seniors for example may be marketed as 2nd tier national-level contests called "Championships" where I'd expect the Top 10 pilots will still be in a close competitive battle for the podium.

- Chris Schrader