Old April 1st 04, 04:57 AM
Richard Hertz

Oh man, here we go again. There is something wrong if you can't take off
with circling minimums, fly the entire flight in IMC and then land at
minimums.

The advice to start off and fly in good weather is BS - it is a crutch to
keep people who are not proficient (whether that means they didn't get
proper training to begin with or they have gotten "rusty" ) from killing
themselves and wrecking an airplane.

To the original poster:

if you did not have intentions about what to do with the rating when you
started training why are you asking a newsgroup. It all depends on your own
needs.

Perhaps people will ask me what to do with their extra money too - I have
some ideas for that.

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
In his book "WeatherFlying," Captain Bob Buck offers this advice:

First, fly from good weather to good weather; ceilings should be 1000 feet
or higher, tops 7000 feet or lower. Takeoff and landing, of course, are in
VFR conditions.

Second, bad weather to good weather...take off into an overcast, climb to

on
top, land in VFR conditions.

Third, good to bad...take off VFR, shoot an approach in deteriorating
weather. If you can't get in, you can always turn around and go back to

good
weather.

Fourth, bad enroute. Take off in decent VFR, fly in nasty conditions
(clouds, no ice), land in VFR conditions.

His fifth step deals with flying in thunderstorm weather, and I draw the
line at that.

Bob Gardner

"Tony Woolner" wrote in message
I passed my instrument checkride on March 29. How do you start using the
rating once you get it? Do you have any advice?