Old October 17th 10, 10:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew B

Default Is this possible?

"J.F." wrote in message b.com...

--
J.F.
If guys had periods. They would compare the size of their tampons!

I suggest having a search for Gimli Glider to read about some of the problems encountered when gliding an airliner.
There are plenty of references including :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

I read that the pilots managed to achieve roughly ten miles for each five thousand feet loss of altitude in their Boeing 767-200. I have absolutely no idea how the A380 would compare to this but would think it would be able to do something fairly similar. Therefore from 35,000 feet I would not expect more than 65 miles at most.

--
Andrew B (Cheshire, England)

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
(Lord Kelvin, president Royal Society, 1895.)