Old March 15th 17, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

RR, respectfully, I think you've got the original point wrong. It's not about resisting "advance of technology"at all. It's about the different mindset of having a motor and not having a motor when you are really pushing the day for a record. For example, during a good record week if you are trying a big triangle you are always wondering if you've picked the last turnpoint too far and you are not going to get back before the lift quits. You ask yourself on the second half of the second leg "Maybe I should bail here so I can be sure to get back?" With a motor in back it's no big deal - you go for that far turnpoint and if you're right you make it and if not you will crank out the motor, do a little sawtooth and get back in time for the beer. Without a motor, you may go for it but if you're wrong you wind up in the dirt with a midnight retrieve and the next day you're cleaning mud and cow pies out of the gear, wishing you had slept more hours than you drove while the motor guy is well rested and flying for a record again that next day. Every motor guy I've flown long distances against (and there are many) has said the same thing: "It's a different game". It's different because at the big decision point (do I go for it or not?) the motor gives security that the pure glider does not have. That's why the records should stay different - motor and no motor are different sports when you try flying 100 to 110% of the day.
ROY