Old May 20th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Default Outside reference in IMC

Bob, I agree that what you wrote is what is commonly understood, but
in fact the definition of IMC in the US is related to where weather
conditions prohibit VFR flying. You are in fact in IMC if you are just
below (or above) a cloud deck and the visibility is 20 miles or more.
In controlled airspace if visibility is less than 3 miles you're in
IMC even though you are probably flying by outside reference as much
as you are by reference to instruments.

On May 20, 3:43 pm, "Bob F." wrote:
The acronyms speak for themselves:

One refers to rules, the other to conditions:

IMC - Instrument Meteorological Conditions - Condition under which flight
instruments are used to maintain control of an aircraft. How used: "Flight
into IMC". One would not say "an IMC rating". If you can use outside
references to maintain flight you are not in IMC... as in "flying in and out
of IMC".

IFR - Instrument Flight Rules - Refers to rules which you follow when
conducting and instrument flight...IMC or not. How used: "I filed IFR
today". One would not say "I have an IFR certificate" or

Notice IMC and IFR are phrases. Your certificate does not say either of
these. You do not have IFR rating, you have an Instrument rating.

--
Regards, BobF."Paul kgyy" wrote in message

On May 20, 11:25 am, wrote:
I fly in the southeastern US, nearly always under IFR, in a complex
sel. In reading other threads it's pretty clear that some others who
post here don't understand what IMC means. I mostly hand fly, and I'm
guessing 30% or more of my IMC flying is using the outside horizon,
with occasional glances at the VOR needle, altimeter, and DG to assure
myself I'm on course and at the correct altitude. Is that what most of
you GA types experience as well?

Well, IMC does refer to , well, IMC, which by definition is restricted
visibility. Sometimes there is a horizon, but a good part of the
time, there isn't. Flying offshore in the summer over the Great
Lakes, even VFR conditions do not always present a useable horizon.
If in doubt, I use the gauges and if it's a long trip and not too
turbulent, I let the autopilot do some of the work while I do the
planning ahead.