Old May 20th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

Default Outside reference in IMC

Good question. Terms can have multiple definitions. I don't think I said
"definition or defined" (maybe I implied that) but in any case terms can
have multiple definitions. I fall back to my math and engineering
background. I see no contradiction in the "definitions" The Pilot Glossary
has a specific definition and the way I described it is the fundamental
understanding of the words. Like in math, sometimes you remember the rules
and other times you define it from scratch. That's what I did.

Vocabulary is invented so that people can communicate. If you don't have an
understanding between people then you need to change your vocabulary, use it
correctly or invent a new term. IMC, broken down, is precise to me, that
is, "MC" where "I",s are needed. The glossary is less clear to me but
nevertheless conveys the same thought. The glossary's last phrase "less
than the minima specified for visual meteorological conditions" says it.
If conditions are worse than VFR, your probably on instruments (or should
be). Like OJ, I go for the throat and state it explicitly.

It would be contradictory to me to say "I was in IMC but didn't need to use
instruments". Then why the "I"?... Kind of like saying "IBM machine".
Listen to what you are saying helps.

JMHO.

--
Regards, BobF.
"Scott Skylane" wrote in message
mmunications...
Bob F. wrote:

The acronyms speak for themselves:

One refers to rules, the other to conditions:

IMC - Instrument Meteorological Conditions - Condition under which flight
instruments are used to maintain control of an aircraft. How used:
"Flight into IMC". One would not say "an IMC rating". If you can use
outside references to maintain flight you are not in IMC... as in "flying
in and out of IMC".

/snip/

Bob,
Where did you get that definition? The Pilot Controller Glossary states:

"Instrument Meteorological Conditions - Meteorological conditions
expressed in terms of visibility, distance from cloud,and ceiling less
than the minima specified for visual meteorological conditions."

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane