Old June 26th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Steve R

Default Clutch switch position

"Hawkdoc" wrote in message
Instead of a covered switch, use a swich with raised side gaurds to
protect it. Can't think of any swiches used in most emergency procedures
that are covered.

James

Rule 6 - "Priorities are man made, not god made"

"Maxwell" wrote in message

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
A recent incident involving a Rotorway helicopter occurred. An
accidental bumping of the clutch switch dis-engaged the clutch. The
resulting autorotation resulted in a roll over and of course some
significant damage. As I understand it, the switch was mounted in the
overhead panel but the pilot's headset could make contact and
inadvertently cause the clutch dis-engagement. I wonder if the standard
switch cover that you have to lift to get access to the switch itself
would have stopped this occurrence?

Would a switch cover not delay ready access to the switch? Sounds like it
needs to be relocated for safety, and kept quick to select.

Hmmm, I'm going on the assumption that this is a switch that's flipped in
order to apply a "clutch" type mechanism to engage the engine to the main
drive system after it's been started. On the Rotorway's I'm familiar with,
that was simply an idler pulley that applied enough pressure to the main
drive belts to prevent them from slippage and once engaged, was not
disengaged until after the aircraft had landed and it was time to shut down.
This was not a mechanism that would require any attention from the pilot
while in flight, even during an emergency autorotation because the freewheel
system that allows the rotor system to keep going after the engine quits was
between the belts and the main drive systems.

Have they changed things, or did the owner of this particular bird change
things?

Just curious!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.