Old July 28th 16, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Are 'Single 180 Turn From Downwind to Final' and 'Stall-spin onTurn from Base to Final' mutually exclusive?

I'm in the 180 descending turn to final camp and, flying downwind much
closer than the "squares" I spend half my time watching my touchdown
point and the final approach path for unannounced traffic on long final
approaches. It's no big effort to look out on final during the turn
while monitoring my intended touchdown point.

Having said the above, I think any pilot will make better patterns if he
flies them as he was taught and has practiced. Of course, you can learn
and practice the other method but you won't be quite as good at it until
your experience at it improves. Have fun and fly safe!

On 7/27/2016 7:52 PM, wrote:
I don't normally weigh in on things like this because of the (many) passionate opinions about "proper" this or that, but last year when I was getting a check ride with a Designated FAA Examiner in the jet powered TsT-14 BonusJet glider(
www.desertaerospace.com), I was chastised for doing a tight 180 to final. "Your head and eyes are focused on the threshold and touchdown point from downwind to final. This is an uncontrolled airport. If you had a guy without a radio on final, you will never see him. Do a square pattern with crisp a 90 degree turn from downwind to base, look over to the opposite direction to clear for traffic and make a crisp 90 to final."

Two flights later, that scenario happened while I was approaching to land in my Pegasus 101A. Looked right on my left downwind to base and saw a rather disturbing sight. I elected to take the adjacent taxiway to avoid being run over by a KingAir who had made a long straight-in final approach, happily announcing his intentions over the radio....but not on the airport frequency.

I mentioned it to him as he was getting gas. At first he growled about almost getting "cut off" in the pattern by some dumbass glider pilot, but his face went white when I asked him what frequency he was using. Turns out he was still on ABQ Center and not 122.90, the Moriarty frequency. Live and learn. I appreciate good advice, and my normal pattern for landing has some margin built in after that little incident.

--
Dan, 5J