Old March 10th 21, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

On Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 7:01:56 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
This is a real dilemma on a marginal final glide in a motorglider. I don't have a comfortable glide. Should I pull the motor out now while I still have enough altitude to try to deal with the consequences? If it doesn't start I will for sure not make it. Should I have pulled it out 5 minutes ago? Too late now - will I regret, 5 minutes from now, not having pulled it out now? All these things run through your head.

Good points. I can see where a 'backup' motor sounds great on the surface, but in practice its whole 'nother set of complex decisions and uncertain risk tradeoffs. More so than I was considering.
Continuing to benefit from this thread - thanks.
JJ