Old July 17th 04, 05:03 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Michael" wrote in message
om...

My experience suggests decimal dust.

I think it is hard to know how many accidents are due to maintenance issues
by reading NTSB reports, just like they are inaccurate for other reasons
you stated.

It is one thing for the NTSB to determine that an airplane was "airworthy"
and "in annual." It is another to hangar fly and hear stories of engine
failures in an airplane where it is local knowledge that a given mechanic
does pencil-whip annuals or that a given airplane owner often cut corners on
maintenance.

Anecdotally I hear about a lot less engine failures among people flying
engines within TBO by hours and also under 10 years old than with older
engines... it would be interesting to tabulate the data someday in a
statistically valid manner.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com