Old September 27th 05, 06:04 PM
Jay Masino

You're correct, but that doesn't negate the fact that there's only a
certain amount of oil in the ground, and it's not gonna last forever.
It's hard to argue with the concept of growing some corn or soybeans and
making fuel from it. Even if it's not the complete answer, it still
starts the ball rolling towards weening ourselves from fossile fuels.

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
Our "dependence" on foreign oil is a problem of our own creation--not
because of our consumption, but rather because of legislation and
regulation that restricts supply. The United States is presently the
third-largest producer of crude oil in the world, ahead of every OPEC
member except for Saudi Arabia. We could easily be the largest oil
producer if the oil reserves under federal land were permitted to be
explored.

Crude oil is one problem, refining capacity is another. We do not have
adequate refining capacity to meet domestic demand. Again, the lack of
refining capacity is the result of legislation and regulation which
makes it prohibitively expensive to build and operate refineries.
Requirements for certain "blends" for certain domestic markets makes it
more expensive and difficult to meet unexpected demand.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___