Old September 6th 03, 09:01 PM
Guy Alcala

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:07:13 GMT, Guy Alcala
wrote:

Not yet, but I've got a bunch of B-25/B-26 books on order from various libraries,
so hopefully they will have something useful. I've also been reading Alfred
Price's "Spitfi A Complete Fighting History," which has some interesting info
on Mk. V fuel burn, range, Spit drag, etc.

The most useful I found were the Merlin 45/46 consumption figures with
relevant TAS figures with associated rpm and boost.

That was one I was thinking of, but if you've seen it that will save me some typing.
I think Pete will find the drag numbers more interesting, but maybe he'd want to see
the Mk. V fuel burn numbers as well. If he does and you've got a scanner (I don't),
could you send them to him?

I can also vouch
for their accuracy, having read the original report in the PRO (which
was filed with some Fighter Command stuff from the Dieppe period
IIRC). The original Spitfire AFDU, A&AEE and RAE reports in AIR 16
were getting a little scrappy though: that particular bulging folder
has clearly been out to a few researchers before I got my paws on it.

Hopefully someone will scan _all_ this stuff before it gets destroyed. We've got bits
and pieces here and there on the web and elsewhere.

Guy