Old June 29th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default what airplane engine this could be?

Robert Moore wrote in
. 15.205:

Mario wrote
I see it is a 7 cylinder engine

I don't think so....to me, it looks like a twin row 14 cylinder
Pratt and Whitney 1830 Twin Wasp widely used on the C-47 during WW11.
Look at the number of spark plug wires at the front of the engine.

The R1830 Twin Wasp
The Pratt and Whitney R-1830 Twin Wasp engine was one of the most
efficient and reliable engines of the 1930s. It was introduced in 1932
with either a 6.1 or 6.5 compression ratio and 775 or 825 horsepower
respectively, at 2,400 rpm. To reach its designed power the R-1830
needed the highest octane gasoline available. Using improved fuel the
R-1830 reached 1,000 hp and later 1,200 hp. It has 14 cylinders in two
banks of seven. The R-1830 was used on B-24s, C-47s and the Grumman
F4F-4 Wildcat, until it was phased out by Grumman. Pratt and Whitney
built 13,464 R-1830-90C engines for the C-47 aircraft. It was also
used in a variety of British aircraft including the Royal Air Force
Catalinas, Short Sunderland Vs, Maryland bombers, and Bristol
Beauforts

Check the picture at this site...
http://www.maltaaviationmuseum.com/engines.asp

Yeah, it's an 1830 I think. the cylinder head fins sure look right for one.
Looks like the magnesium geabox casing is long gone. You'll probably find
the gears lying in the bottom underneath the engine.

Bertie