Old March 16th 04, 11:46 AM
Stephen Harding

Cub Driver wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:05:54 -0500, Stephen Harding
wrote:

In fact, I don't think that many bomber raids against
Axis targets even originated from Soviet controlled
territory throughout the war

I can't think of any. Didn't the few planes that landed at Russian
bases simply refuel and return empty?

I think that initially that was the case, but as the war
progressed, some raids actually originated from Soviet
controlled territory.

The number of them was exceedingly small as I understand
it. The Soviets didn't really seem comfortable having US
bomb groups working from their territory. Cooperation was
never especially good.

This leads me to believe the Yak-9DD either didn't really
exist, or more likely, was just an experiment in range
enhancement with no real practical use for the Soviets.

SMH