Old September 6th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default PW-5 longitudinal pitch oscillation

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 6:04:49 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 8:23:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't recall any glider I have flown reacting to a horizontal gust
by pitching down.

IIRC Genesis does this a tiny bit - initially disconcerting but of
no consequence as it stabilizes promptly (it's a nice flying bird).
JJ ??

IIRC vertical gusts activate the short period (AOA) mode and pitch the aircraft down while horizontal gusts activate the phugoid (airspeed) mode and pitch up (if the gust is on the nose). These are kind of fundamental aspects aircraft stability. Anything else might lead one to check the c.g. People sometimes confuse the type of gust they are experiencing.

Andy
9B