Old March 10th 04, 03:43 PM
John

The point I was making was is there benefits for low-time pilots to
thermal right and land left?

Of course, this is not needed for super experienced pilots who have
developed so much skill that they feel thermals and no longer need a
vario, or fly helicopters when the lift is not that good because they
have all this excess flying skill.

I myself can turn equally well right or left. But I have noticed I
prefer thermalling to the right, and landing to the left. Having over
250 flights, I have plenty of experience going both directions, but
have developed preference for turning one way or another. (as an
aside, I prefer left turns on my motorcycle too....no reason, just
like them better).

But for new pilots, experience is limited. So can habits be quickly
developed to make fast turns when low, and slow turns when high, with
the simple choice of turn direction? Seems like people do what they
practice, so it would be hard to isolate the slow turns in a thermal
with the faster turns while landing unless something fundamentally is
different. Turn direction might be that difference.

Of course, altitude should be the difference (the trees are bigger so
go faster). But based on the number of crashes while landing, this
seems not to be a good indicator that you can't go around the pattern
like you have just been going around thermals. I propose a simple
idea that turn direction might have some safety benefits. Any honest
comment on the idea?

I assume, once experience is gained, the low-time pilot will be
equally good regardless of turn direction. Can the habit be broken
then? Likely, but if the low-time pilot maintains a preference for
turn direction while thermalling or landing, is that bad? I would
suggest most of us have a preference eventually, so what is wrong with
starting out with a specified turn preference being taught?