Old January 16th 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

Default Janus 2-seat glider as a club glider?

We (www.hyik.fi) have Janus CT (with sustainer engine). We
also have ASK-21 for basic training, couple Astirs and couple LS
single seaters.

We have 200 hours requirement for Janus solo. It's partly
because of the engine. At the moment it's our only glider with
flaps.

The rear pedals are adjustable, but for me a little too close (i'm
186 cm tall). If I cross my legs while not flying from rear seat it's
OK.

Duo is more elegant to fly. On a good day Janus is very nice
glider to fly, but it is a bit heavy in circling. If you testfly one,
stay on neutral flaps until you have centered to the thermal,
then go to positive flaps if you like.

IMHO Janus prices are low. It is excellent for XC training. I got
introduced to XC flying on 300km flight with Janus. It was then
much easier to start XC flying on my own.

At 00:07 15 January 2013, K_Miller wrote:
I am interested in learning if other soaring clubs have a Janus

2-seat
glider in their fleet, which model they have, its suitability as a

club
ship and whether they would recommend one to a club that

was looking for a
2-seat cross country trainer.
If you have other personal experience in the Janus, your

opinion would be
appreciated.