Old July 8th 03, 02:45 AM
Justin Case

Default Lightspeed Battery Box Warning

Lightspeed seems to know everything about all of their problems and
they all seem infrequent. Just too many infrequent problems for me.

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:45:22 GMT, Sydney Hoeltzli
wrote:

Just got back from our annual jaunt to NW MA. Might write more
later (have I mentioned recently how much I abhore flying or
driving through the state of Ohio, no offense intended to anyone
living there)

Anyway, landing at a fuel stop on the return trip, husband
said batteries were low in my new Lightspeed 30 3G (pilot
gets to use it). Went in the FBO, lunch, wx, came out to
preflight while husband filed (VFR in 1800 ft ceilings,
wanted me to fly it, such a nice guy). Replaced batteries
in Lightspeed 30 3G.

Went back into FBO to change 3 yr olds wet undies for pullup,
get the glad tidings on who gets to fly in what from DH.
Thanks. I think. What does Louisville Approach have against
small airplanes bopping around in 6 miles vis at 2000 MSL?
You'd think I was scud running or something. Anyway, I
digress.

10 minutes later opened plane to hop in, stench of burning
plastic.

Sniffer traced to 30-3G battery box, which had been left
lying across the yoke.

Batteries were almost too hot to touch. Hot enough to
have melted the plastic of the battery box. Holy S***.

Lightspeed is sending replacement UPS red. But. This is
a known (though infrequent) problem. Caveat Lightspeed
User; don't leave your **** battery box lying on anything
expensive or any plastic part of the plane it would be a
PITA to replace. 'Cuz that puppy was Hot Hot Hot.

Love the Lightspeed comfort; like the Lightspeed NR;
Lightspeed QC needs some d*** ketchup. Maybe they oughtta
try to hire someone away from Dave Clark (alternatively
maybe someone at Dave Clamp ought to hire an ergonomics
guy away from Lightspeed).

Hola!
Sydney