Old June 24th 18, 09:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Libelle

Contacted the Lancaster Airport on the off chance they still had the Libelle. Said it was in Canada now. I was offered a price of 1,500 on a Libelle that had a damage history. The known damage is a shattered canopy and a crushed leading edge in one wing approximately 3 inches deep and 3 inches wide from striking a tree or fence post. Unknown if there is any other damage to fuselage such as landing gear damage or boom damage. The pilot reported hearing "cracking in the wings" when he was upset by turbulence and became inverted in flight causing his head to strike and crack the canopy is what was reported to have happened. I'd really like to own a Libelle sailplane and thought maybe if I registered it as experimental I could have it repaired for a resonable cost. If it wasn't repairable it could be cosmetically brought back and would make a museum piece. Biggest problem I have is logistic of transport. I live in California and the ship is on the East Coast. I told the guy that I was probably gonna have to pass. If any of you know a good reason why I should pick this Libelle up and or could help me with getting it to California let me know. Thanks.