Old June 28th 05, 08:56 PM

You remind me of the time I got lost in the Bayuda desert in Egypt
while ferrying an Ag Husky (cessna) from Cairo to Khartoum. It was 10
hours into the flight and I had missed a checkpoint. No navaids except
an ONC chart. anyway, I got caught in a sandstorm and was forced down
to about 500' adl (above desert level..gg) when I came up on the
Nile. I elected to stay with it since my fuel state was now down to an
hour and I had 2 hours to Khartoum. If I was going down I wanted to
stick close to water. then I popped out of the storm and decided to
land in the nearest flat piece I could see. Way out in the distance I
saw what appeared toa be a road and headed for the landing. Lo and
behold it was a dirt strip! I landed and taxied in to the parking area.
didn't even have time for the engine to cool down when the sand storm
hit. I tried to get out but the wind and sand was just too fierce. Then
the temps in the cockpit drove me out and I hunkered down under the
tail on the downwind side. Then it began to rain mud drops and I got
out in it to wash down some of the sweat. The rain became clear and the
wind died down. water was about ankle deep by then. I saw one of my
tires had gone flat so I just got out the half gallon of Scotch I was
taking to the guys in Khartoum and poured a stiff one, sat down and
started to relax.
Yahoooo
Rocky