Old October 27th 03, 10:41 PM
Jake Donovan

I haven't seen anyone wearing Aviation Greens since the mid 80's. They are
still in the Uniform Regs though. (As someone stated earlier, we have
enough uniforms to drag around with us.)

JD

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 10/27/03 3:34 PM, in article
, "Justin Broderick"
wrote:

(Rich) wrote in message
. com...

During the war Fleet Admiral EJ King designed a grey uniform that he
proposed to be all purpose, eliminating khaki and the service dress
blues (which he felt, reportedly, were too much like the Royal Navy).
Never a popular uniform and generally only worn in King's presence or
in East Coast commands where he was likely to appear, it barely
survived his tenure and was no longer authorized after 1948.

Working gray was supposed to replace working khaki, but not service
dress blue. After early '43 blues could be "dress," which was the
basic pre-war SD blues (A, B or C), or "service" which could have
stripes only halfway round the sleeves and could be worn with the
"service" combination cap (black chinstrap instead of gold and no
scambled eggs) or blue garrison cap. Service blues could also be worn
with the gray shirt and collar insignia, another of King's ideas that
didn't really catch on.

Gray short-sleeved shirts and shorts were also supposed to replace
tropical khaki, but I don't know if anyone ever actually wore it.
Grays were considered something of an abomination in the PTO.

For a brief time in the 1980's aviation greens were not authorized and
the use of brown shoes with khakis was likewise done away with, but in
recent years greens have made a comeback and are authorized to be worn
with brown shoes.

Did Lehman bring back the aviation greens?

--Justin

They never went away. It's just that most folks choose not to buy them,

and
since their a working uniform, no aviation skipper I know of has ever
required their wear.

--Woody