Old August 22nd 04, 09:26 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Ken Duffey wrote:

The modern equivalent to the Martin Seamaster would be the Beriev A-40
Mermaid :- http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...pages/a-40.htm

The Be-200 is a civil machine designed for firefighting - or as a
general utility amphibian.

As such is is in the same class as the CL-415 - only bigger and better
:- http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/...ges/be-200.htm

Bigger certainly, but the "better" bit depends on how the question is
asked. I say each is fairly well tailored to the conditions in which
their builders foresee them being used. I would be surprised if the
Be-200 would be as cheap to operate as the CL-415, especially in North
America; likewise, the CL-415 would probably be more expensive to
operate in Eastern Europe and Russia. It would also be interesting to
be able to compare mission availability.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO